Tuesday, May 6, 2008

red snapper Vera Cruz style

So it's not like I haven't cooked at all in the past month.
I just haven't cooked anything very interesting or blog worthy.

I've grilled some steaks.
I've made some pastas.
I've made various fish and chicken dishes.
All pretty routine.
But since yesterday was Cinco de Mayo,
I wanted to do Mexican food.
But something different than
tacos, enchiladas or burritos.

So I made red snapper Vera Cruz, green rice
and those pickled spicy carrots.

Here I will share the snapper recipe with you.


It's a simple preparation that probably would
work just as well with halibut or tilapia or some other similar white fish.
I think it would even be good with chicken.

Red Snapper Vera Cruz style
4 snapper fillets, 6 ounces each
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion (I used a sweet variety), finely sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/4 cup dry white wine
2 large tomatoes or 4 small tomatoes, chopped
(I used 2 small red tomatoes and 2 small yellow tomatoes)
2 tablespoons capers, drained
1 serrano pepper, finely chopped

I skipped olives, which also go in this dish.
The manfriend is not a fan of olives.
But if you like them, throw in
1/4 cup green olives, pitted and chopped.


Salt and pepper the fish on both sides.

Heat olive oil in a non-corrosive saute pan over high heat,
add fish and cook a few minutes on each side.
I tried to build up a crunchiness to it, hence the high heat.
Once fish is done, remove from pan and cover.

Reduce heat on pan to medium-high
and add onions and garlic. Cook until soft.

Add the wine and cook until it is reduced.

Add the tomatoes, capers and pepper
(and olives if you like 'em) and bring to a boil.
Cook until reduced and it starts to thicken.
Reduce heat and add fish. Cook for 2 minutes.

Serve fish with the onion/tomato mixture on top.
Garnish with lemon or lime wedges.

This came out nice. It was pretty light.
The sauce is meant to be redder than mine was.
But I used red and yellow tomatoes.
It still tasted good and I wanted to experiment with the yellows.
For the green rice, just make your favorite type of white rice.
When it is done, add in some of your favorite green salsa.
I just do this to taste.

I will post the carrot recipe separately in the next day or so.



No comments: