Monday, February 4, 2008

pineapple coffee cake


This coffee cake recipe did not include a crumbly topping.
Now, in my humble opinion, it ain't coffee cake unless it has a crumbly topping.
So I improvised one. I will do my best to describe how I made it.

This recipe also calls for canned pineapple in syrup. I had fresh pineapple, so I used only half the sugar called for in the original recipe. I will note my modifications in **( )**.

preheat oven to 350 degrees

Cake:
1 cup corn oil
1 cup granulated sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt

Filling:
1 large can crushed pineapple in heavy syrup
**(fresh cubed pineapple - about the equivalent of a whole pineapple)**
1/2 cup granulated sugar
**(1/4 cup granualted sugar)**
3 tablespoons corn starch

Crumbly top:
butter
flour
brown sugar
chopped pecans

for filling:
combine ingredients, heating until bubbly, then set aside.
**(to break down the pineapple, I cut the larger cubes down into small pieces then mashed them down with my potato masher)**

for crumbly top - this is all by feel for me; it is about the texture of the crumbles:
combine about 1/2 stick of butter with 1/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 cup chopped pecans.
using fingers, mix until large crumbles are formed (measurements are approximate)

for cake:
beat together oil and sugar
add eggs, then vanilla

sift together dry ingredients.
add dry ingredients, a little at a time, to the egg mixture.
put 3/4 of the batterin a 9x3-inch pan
sprinkle pineapple filling over top of batter
put remaining batter on top of filling
sprinkle crumbly topping over cake
bake 30-40 minutes, or until top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into a doughy part comes out clean.

This cake was very moist and lightly sweet as I made it. I am not sure how much sweeter it might be with canned fruit.
Since most fruited coffee cakes have apple in them, the pineapple was a nice new flavor in there.
The cake is good at room temperature, but even better when it is warmed up a bit.

No comments: